As of last week, I have a temp job in North Carolina which, with a little luck, may turn into a permanent position. Moving again would suck, but if I have to move anywhere, I’d rather move within the South than out of it. Speaking of the South, Chris Lawrence is officially full of crap for describing a move to Carolina as “leaving the South.” This state is soooo south of Virginia it isn’t even funny. After about six months as a born-again Virginian, I barely noticed the accent anymore. Now I can barely communicate. Over the past week, I’ve encountered the following:
- Earlier this week around lunch time, a co-worker asked me if I’d got lynched yet.
- Last week, the same co-worker asked me if I whuckum downan eacho knees.
- The same day, a hostess at a local restaurant (complete with a nose ring, a gazillion tattoos, and all the other garb that screamed out “I belong in Frisco, not here!”) asked me if I was donanin.
- Around the same time, I called Duke Power to get the power switched to my name in my apartment. I did not understand a friggin’ word Boomhauer said, not even enough syllables to transcribe here. Next month I should find out whether I just ordered power, bought a new set of Ginsu knives, joined the Fruit of the Month Club, or Lord knows what else.
- I recently learned that the Carolina School of Languages is within walking distance of where I work. I showed up there today asking to enroll in an evening class where I can learn to speak Carolina. Judging by the strange look I got, I was relieved to see that for once, someone else got to be the one having no clue what I was talking about.
UPDATE: If you’ve ever wondered whether “Unpartisan” actually has a human reading all the blog entries it links, or if a bot scours the net for anything that matches a few keywords, Wonder no more.
UPDATE x2: Chris clarifies in comments that his “leaving the south” post referred only to the Triangle, not to the state as a whole.
UPDATE x3: D’oh! Actually, the original post made that pretty clear to begin with. That’s what I get for attacking old posts by memory – particularly a memory distorted by my own lack of exposure to the region at the time it was formed – rather than waiting until I can get the original to load properly.