It’s not too late to sponsor me for Saturday’s Big Brothers / Big Sisters bowl. It’s for a good cause (or two, if mocking the skills of our nation’s Bowler in Chief is your idea of a good cause). Thanks to all who have sponsored already.
March 5, 2009
February 10, 2009
On Saturday, March 7 I will go bowling to benefit Big Brothers / Big Sisters. Donations woud be greatly appreciated. Pledges are a flat amount unrelated to my score, so I’m thinking if using the occasion to repeat Mary K’s experiment.
UPDATE: Thanks to Patty, Steve and Pigilito. Keep ’em coming.
September 7, 2005
Via reader TTyler, here is a link to a clearinghouse for volunteers in the Houston-Galveston area and the public. It is intended to help match up volunteers with places to volunteer and donors with places to drop stuff off. If you are in the greater Houston area, be sure to check it out.
September 1, 2005
It’s not too late to get your donations in, and don’t forget to log them when you do. I ended up donating to Mercy Corps, Salvation Army and the Humane Society.
Today’s the day. I don’t recommend any particular charity, just that you donate to a reputable one, and use your company if they’ll match some or all of it.
January 30, 2005
To those of you who are regular readers of Xrlq’s musings, you know that he and I support Underdog Rescue, a non profit group which pulls dogs and cats from high-kill Southern California animal shelters, rehabilitates them, and places them into loving forever homes. Please take a look at some of our latest handiwork in the before and after photos below.
Thanks to a team of volunteers and a particularly loving foster mom, Josie, the 8 year old chow/lab mix once at death’s door is now playful as a pup and has been placed in a home where two little girls argue over whose bed she gets to sleep in. If you have ever experienced the blessing of a bond with one of these angels in fur coats, you will know the heartbreak involved with seeing an unselfish creature in need. I really want to get the word out on how a handful of people can make such a difference. For more information on Underdog Rescue, please visit www.underdogrescue.net. Don’t forget, the PayPal button on the sidebar is for tax deductible contributions to Underdog to benefit animals like Josie. Donations from the heart are always welcome.
December 29, 2004
- We didn’t fight a war in Thailand, Sri Lanka or Indonesia.
- The U.S. very little strategic interest there, if any.
- Neither does Halliburton.
- In fact, there’s no oil there at all, to speak of.
- Nor, for that matter, large numbers of terrorists likely to attack us if we don’t help.
- On a per capita basis, we’re already giving a lot more than Jan Egeland’s native Norway.
- Self-righteous Euroweenies don’t care about that, though. Donate all you want, and they’ll still go on convincing themselves they are better global citizens than us ‘Mercuns.
- Contributing to the relief effort won’t do a damned thing to make the world safe for democracy, or for any other political agenda we Americans may find desirable.
- It also won’t benefit you personally. Not a penny will go to your Social Security benefits, your 401(k), or benefit you in any other way, shape or form. You may build up a little treasure in heaven, but then again, you may not.
- Do it anyway.
December 1, 2004
November 29, 2004
November 28, 2004
DeoDuce, Patterico, Michael Williams and I have donated, and you should too. The drive technically begins on Wednesday but there’s no need to wait until then; you can donate now. And if you’re a Bear Flag League member, be sure to join the BFL drive as well.